Friday, August 7, 2009

On Himself II

"But what strange ideas again! -that I was born with a supramental temperament and that I know nothing of hard realities!- Good God! My whole life has been a struggle with hard realities, from hardships, starvation in England and constant and fierce difficulties to the far greater difficulties continually cropping up here in Pondicherry, external and internal. My life has been a battle from its early years and is still a battle: the fact that I wage it now from a room upstairs and by spiritual means as well as others that are external makes no difference to its character. But, of course, as we have not been shouting about these things, it is natural, I suppose, for others to think that I am living in an august, glamorous, lotus-eating dreamland where no hard facts of life or Nature present themselves. But what an illusion all the same! "

Sri Aurobindo Birth Centenary Library, "On Himself" (Volume 26, p.153-4)

No comments: